Committee Meeting Minutes – 10th August, 2017

For a long time now, there haven’t been any minutes from the Committee meetings. This is not acceptable. Please accept my sincerest apologies, both on behalf of myself and the whole committee, and my assurances that we’ll make sure that the minutes are done from now on.

I (Alastair Campbell) will be temporarily assuming the duty of preparing and disseminating the minutes of Committee meetings for the time being.

Moving on, the Committee had a meeting on the 10th of August, 2017. Here’s the minutes of that discussion. If you have any questions, please let us know.

  1. Call to Order
    1. The meeting was called to order at approximately 6:30PM on Thursday 10th of August. Present was Alastair Campbell (AC), Sam Crossan (SC), Kevin Williamson (KW) and Rowan Winter (RW).
  2. Apologies
    1. Mathew Shaw (MS) was unable to make the meeting. RW agreed to take some notes in place of the secretary.
  3. Accounts
    1. SC gave a brief summary of the club’s monetary position. The gaming club remains healthy financially, and has a few hundred pounds spending money for necessities.
  4. Board Game Night
    1. AC raised the issue that board games night seemed to have little or no interest.
    2. AC suggested that no tournament games be organised/awarded on Board Games Nights. There was no motion carried for this suggestion.
    3. AC also suggested that the day of the Board Games Night could be changed. This was voted against, primarily because it was believed that members knew that board games night was on the last Wednesday of the month.
    4. It was suggested that Board Games Night could be more forced, and make it a requirement rather than a suggestion. This motion was tabled for consideration and decision to be made next meeting.
  5. Rent Payments Standing Order
    1. The club has been making monthly rent payments to the YMCA rather than paying cheques at infrequent intervals. This is proceeding as expected and helps us to better plan around our finances.
  6. Funding Application
    1. AC has made an application for some funding from the Holyrood trust. He hopes to hear back from them with a decision by the end of August, or early September.
  7. Club terrain
    1. KW made his concerns known that the club’s terrain was falling into disrepair, and suggested that the Committee could spend a day doing a bit of repair work. This was agreed to.
    2. KW also asked if more terrain could be made/purchased. AC reminded that some terrain was budgeted for in the application for funding which was outstanding, and suggested waiting to see if the application was accepted.
    3. The repair work was carried out by AC, KW and SC. Special thanks to John Cartledge and Ryan Philipson who also attended to assist.
  8. Damage to tables & chairs
    1. Some of the club’s and the YMCA’s property has been damaged. Some of it is repairable and some is beyond repair. AC agreed to try and repair or replace some of the damaged furniture.
  9. HMRC/Tax status
    1. SC is to look into the requirements that the club has to pay tax and look into what is required for annual year-end accounts.
  10. Charity status
    1. AC is continuing to work on attaining charity status for the club. An application form has been filled out and is being checked by Selina McNorran of D&G Third Sector.
    2. AC will get other members of the committee to fill out Trustee forms over the coming weeks.
  11. Card game night
    1. SC will be running a card game table most nights focusing on card games and board games.
  12. Accepting card payments
    1. AC has acquired a system for card payments. All tuck shop transactions are now to be made through the app to allow stock and other statistics to be tracked.
  13. Mobile broadband/wifi
    1. AC has installed a mobile broadband router at the club allowing the committee to have (fairly slow) wi-fi for the purposes of taking card payments.
    2. AC is looking into other opportunities to make use of this new feature.
    3. For the time being, the wi-fi is restricted to use for these purposes only and is not for public / entertainment use.
  14. Club shop
    1. AC has been working on implementing a pilot scheme for selling booster packs and sleeves for Magic the Gathering with the intention of possibly selling other items, like paints and brushes etc.
    2. AC has made the shop entirely with his own funds to mitigate any risk to the club, and retains ownership of the products if they do not sell. If they sell successfully, he will be remunerated for the cost of the products, leaving the profit with the club.
    3. This shop may be expanded based on success.
  15. Athena
    1. AC has been working on a project for a long time to give the club a digital membership register and sign-in sheet.
    2. This project is actually completed and ready to implement.
    3. The members register needs to be updated and everyone needs to be on the members register before it can be implemented. MS is to ensure this is done.
  16. Storage under shelves
    1. KW pointed out that there is a lot of personal property being kept underneath the shelves at the club which is messy and potentially unwanted.
    2. It was agreed that this property shall be left over a week or so for members to collect, or it may be binned / considered donated to the gaming club.
  17. Any other business
    1. RW suggested that a club marketplace be implemented. AC asked to include that in the next meeting instead of discussing it at the current meeting to save time as it was likely to be an extensive discussion.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Alastair Campbell

Alastair is the gaming club's chairman, and also manages and runs the D&D Adventurer's League program, hosting three groups of players every two weeks. He is a self-proclaimed expert in D&D 5th Edition. In his spare time, he plays more D&D.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *